I believe the Body of Christ is in desperate need of reformation. The purpose of this blog is to encourage dialog that will lead to positive changes in local churches that will facilitate the soon coming of our Messiah.


Disclaimer:

This site does not have control over products that are advertised here. Every effort is made to insure that products advertised here are not contrary to the teachings of Scripture. However, it is possible that some material may be contrary to what is taught here. We apologize for any confusion.

Friday, December 7, 2007

The Christian's Priority System

This is a subject that, I'm sure, there will be much discussion in the days ahead. I want to tackle it from the start to examine just how far we have deviated from Biblical principle. I have taught for many years, that when you put God first in your life, every thing else will fall into place. Sounds good, doesn't it? WRONG!! Acts 17:28 says "for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’ " In Him...In Him...In Him!! If we are in Him, there is no way to put Him first or second, or any other place...HE IS MY LIFE! By putting Him in a priority system, even if it is first place, I am denigrating His power and authority in my life. Our Messiah is to big for a human priority system. Yeshua (His Hebrew name...more writing later on the names we use!) taught us "
"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples. (John 15:7,8)" Abiding in Him is not about priority...it is about life.

Let's look at the practical application of this principle: Because He is my life, I am free to give my wife, and then my family, the highest possible priority. I am free to be in a passionate earthly relationship that is Divinely designed to teach me the principles of the Kingdom of the Almighty. I am free to pursue my lover of 30 years with abandon. I do not worry if I spend too much time or effort on this relationship because it is the one relationship given for just that purpose. Ephesians 5:32 says concerning this relationship, "This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church." In other words, it is IMPOSSIBLE to devote too much to my marriage because it is all about being "in Him"!

I realize that what I have just shared flies in the face of conventional Christian thinking. I challenge you to ponder this message in your heart. A major reason Christian marriages fail is because of the priority system and the guilt and confusion it brings! You are free to pursue your spouse with ALL of your heart. Your Heavenly Father is NOT displaced by you doing so. On the contrary, He is glorified and blessed because He has given you that relationship to explore the depths of His love for you! PERSUE PASSIONATE LOVE!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your post, but I'm unsure how far to take it. I believe that it is possible to fall into idolatry in our relationships, whether it be with our spouses, or others.

What I mean by this is that while I believe that God wants us to completely enjoy our spouses, they are never to be put in a place that only God can fill.

For example, my life needs to be so wrapped up in who the Messiah is ("in Him") that all of my needs are fulfilled by Him. My spouse should never be expected to fulfill my needs. That can only be done "in Him." Now, "in Him," I have been given all things, including a spouse, but it must be recognized that the gifts are "in Him."

If I'm relying on my spouse to be all in all to me in any area of my life, then that is idolatry.

I'm not sure if I'm making the point that I would like to. We need to live our lives with radical balance. The best way to bring glory to God is to recognize that all of our desires are only met when we are truly "in Him."

Anonymous said...

If we are to love our spouses as Christ loves the church, how can we love them too much?
My husband & I have recently finished a book called "Intimate Issues" by Dillow & Pintus. For me, being raised in church, it was eye opening. I realized again how much God loves me, and how much He desired happiness & fulfillment in my marriage. By serving my spouse, and by loving him as Christ loves the church, I'm serving and loving God. I've come to realize that they are one in the same.
Thank God that He gave us yet another example of His love for us!
I agree completely that placing priorities on our relationship with God is limiting God in our lives.

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post, but I was searching biblical family priorities and your blog came up. Many list the priorities one should have as God, Spouse, Children, Ministry, Job. I am in conflict with a colleague who believes that one's ministry should come before spouse/family. So, I am curious what you would say to this.