I believe the Body of Christ is in desperate need of reformation. The purpose of this blog is to encourage dialog that will lead to positive changes in local churches that will facilitate the soon coming of our Messiah.


Disclaimer:

This site does not have control over products that are advertised here. Every effort is made to insure that products advertised here are not contrary to the teachings of Scripture. However, it is possible that some material may be contrary to what is taught here. We apologize for any confusion.

Friday, June 20, 2008

The Covenant

Jeremiah, the prophet said: “Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah—not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD.  But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.  No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.” (Jer. 31:31-34)

This passage has caused some misunderstanding within the body of Messiah.  Many teach that Yahuweh is simply renewing His covenant with Moses, and therefore restoring the Torah to all believers in Messiah.  This view does NOT withstand the scrutiny of Scripture.  We must be willing to take a hard and fast look at what Yeshua did in being the mediator of a New Covenant with us.

In Paul's letter to the Galatians, he articulates some changes to the Torah (Yahuweh's teaching and instructions).  Paul's understanding of circumcision not being necessary for salvation was contrary to the Mosaic law.  He also stated that HIS gospel (that message which the Holy Spirit taught to him in the Arabian desert) was the ONLY gospel that is truth for us.  His (re)introduction of the Melchezedic priesthood was contrary to Levitical order.

In light of this evidence, I submit to you that it was NOT the Mosaic covenant that was renewed, but our Father's covenant with Abraham!  This is extremely important for us to understand as Abraham's covenant was based on faith.  Abraham HEARD the voice of the Almighty and he believed!  That covenant is renewed with YOU!  Have you HEARD His voice?  Will you BELIEVE?

Shalom

No comments: